Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Well after last week's episode of living hand to mouth (punctuated by needing to buy Shinkansen tickets to Okayama again on Saturday.) I had a little more fun on my days off this week, having successfully been paid (for the second month in a row) on Monday. 3 cheers for working for a solvent company, "hip, hip, Hurray!"

Oh, let me begin with Monday's "excitement." I went to my usual school downtown (thought it wasn't not a normal shift. Just for the day.) Part way through the shift one of the staff asked if I wanted to help pass out fliers outside. "Sure," I say. I always wondered what is was like to be one of the people handing out things on the corner. It's a lot easier than it looks, especially if you're a 2 meter tall foreigner. I could have been handing out hand grenades with the pins pulled and still run out... but I digress. That wasn't the interesting part. So, I watch as a lady rides her bike into the intersection as the light is about to change to "walk." People often start to cross while it's still "a little red." Anywho, the cross-traffic light is still yellow and some guy guns it to get through. And, yeah, I always herd there were a lot of traffic accidents here, but I had never seen one. The lady goes flying up on the guy's hood as he slams on the brakes. Luckily she got up afterwords and seemed REALLY shaken but physically unhurt. The police came but I ran out of fliers and went back inside before much else happened. Scary stuff, a potent reminder to look both ways before crossing the street, and only cross with the light!

Yesterday (Tuesday), after paying some bills in the morning, I decided to check out Rokko Island. Rokko is one of three large man-made islands in the bay next to Kobe (along with Port Island and Kobe Airport.) You may recall from a previous post that I went to Port Island (but didn't bother getting off the train for lack of interest.) As with Port Island, there's not a lot that's of interest on Rokko Island. I did find a water park (though I didn't have my swimsuit with me.) The layout of the Island is more or less an outer ring of port facilities (ridiculously large cranes loading and unloading stupidly large ships), a ring of high-rise apartments, and a half-un-occupied retail core. One thing that did strike me was how devoid of history the place was. Everything on the island was built less than 20 years ago, so there weren't any 500 year old shrines waiting to be found in the back alleys. Sort of a weird vibe.

The aliens have landed...
And parked their spaceship on Rokko Island!

Today (Wednesday) I wasted most of the morning hours playing video games. Some time after lunch I decided I should probably get off my butt and actually do something. The easiest thing at hand was my old "pick a direction and walk in it until you find something cool" routine. I ended up climbing one of the mountains in the range behind my apartment. Turns out there's a walking bridge called "Venus Bridge" that's fairly famous for its view at the top. It was a fairly clear day today (not too hazy anyways) and I got one of the best views of Kobe yet (it was actually clear enough to see Osaka.) After climbing down the mountain I made my way south past my old apartment to Harbor Land and finally back home. Probably a 5km day, but most of that was vertical.

Sick of my pictures of the Kobe skyline yet?
(It's my new Fuji-san!*)
(*see the pictures in the last 1/2 of my last blog)
Another perspective on Port Tower

I think this is the third week in a row of my posting at this time. It seems to work pretty well, so I think I'll (be attempting to) stick to it. Also in the realm of posting, the Japanese summer is nearly upon us (well, those of us in Japan.) With temps easily creeping up over the 100 degree mark for weeks at a time and with humidity like a rain-forest at the bottom of the ocean, I will be toning down my adventures to things that will probably be inside (air conditioned but not as photograph-able.) I know some of you really enjoy the photography part of this blog but please bare with me until typhoon season gets here (the end of August) and takes some of the temperature edge off.

Alright, I think that's it for now. Thanks to "Marine Day" on the 20th I get a four day work week this week and a "three day 'weekend'" next week. Now... what to do with my bonus day off... Until next time:

Jaa Mata Ne.

P.S. As of today I've spent 69 days in Japan, 1 day longer than the time here with my last company.

P.P.S. I'd like to wish my Father a very Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great posting Number One Son! Sounds like you are getting around a lot and are quite relieved that you have passed the previous "days in country" record AND are getting paid. Way cool. You hike up the mountain puts me in mind of the group we met in The Lake District in England who were joking about the next day's hike of 10 kilometers uphill Both Ways. Talk to you soon.. MomCat