Thursday, October 16, 2008

Monday I decided that I'd head to Takedao to check out the old railway there that had been converted to a hiking path. I got a fairly early start and stopped in Motoko Town to pick up a flashlight from one of the shady electronics stores there. I hopped on a limited express JR train out of Kobe station towards Amagasaki where I planned to transfer to the Takarazuka line. Unfortunately when the train it's stop stop in Ashia (one station short) it didn't move again. After watching most of the people exit the train and carefully listening to what the announcer was saying over and over I realized there was some obstruction ahead and that the train would remain in the station for the unforeseen future. At this point I took the announcer's advice and hoofed it to Hankyu-Ashia station (thank goodness for three parallel train lines between Kobe and Osaka) and took a very roundabout path to finally arrive in Takedao.

From reading other people's blogs on trips to the Takedao trails I figured there was one or two kilometers of trail and a few old train tunnels (some long and dark, hence the flashlight.) What I actually found was the entire line was accessible complete with bridges, many tunnels (indeed very long/deep), and many many kilometers of trail. As I was expecting a short hike I took my time, going slowly and taking numerous pictures. The railway followed a beautiful river that flows down a tree lined valley. Even if the train was still in use this would have been a worthwhile ride just for the scenery. The tunnels were a challenge. Some were long/winding enough that you couldn't see the light of either end from the middle. I was glad I brought a flashlight.

After about a two and a half hour hike I came out in a semi-populated area. I wandered around wondering if I needed to turn back (no visible train/bus station to be found.) I asked some locals who advised me the next big town was another half hours walk down the road. After twenty minutes of walking and swearing under my breath about being sure I was lost in the mountains and wouldn't see civilization again, I came upon what happened to be a town I passed through earlier in the day while I was changing trains. Being fairly exhausted at this point I jumped on the first train and headed home.
Almost the entirety of the town of Takedao can be seen on the left.
The first of the tunnels. Short enough to see the other end.
Old speed limit sign.
This is what the first half of the trails look like (note the ties still in place.)
Later the trail in un-groomed and some ties have been removed.
Also, note that walking on railroad ties is a lot of work.
The biggest bridge on the trail (gee, looks like I'm on it, doesn't it...)
One of the later tunnels. Note the foliage closing in on the path.
Beautiful mountain scenery.
The river had its fair share of rapids as it twisted and turned through the valley.
The sunset reflected on a building near Kobe station.

Partly due to lingering exhaustion from the previous day but mostly due to the rain which continued to fall throughout the day: Tuesday was a write-off as far as adventure goes. I did put in 5 solid hours on my Wii and managed to finish my last William Gibson book (I've now read all of his full length novels.)

Wednesday the weather report promised another mild, sunny day. Again I got an early start, this time deciding to check out Rokko Mountain. Rokko Mountain is actually a bit of a mis-nomer. It's actually the Rokko mountain range (the highest point in which is simply called "Rokko Mountain Range's Highest Point".) Semantics aside I had seen and advertisement on the train for a "1 day pass" that covers the train to the mountain as well as transport up, down, and around the mountain itself. All in a I think I got my moneys worth out of the pass

Most of the day was spent moving around and went some thing like this: First the train from Sannomiya to Hankyu-Rokko station. Then the bus from the station to the bottom of the mountain (a short trip, but enough to put me off using the bus again any time soon- late, slow, bumpy, crowded, etc.) Next it was up the near vertical mountain side by cable car. Once at the top I went by bus to the "Rokko Mountain Garden Terrace" which has a nice panorama and a cafeteria where I stopped for lunch. After snapping a few pictures and having a nice chat with some Japanese hikers I took the rope-way down the other side of the mountain into the hot-spring town Arima. Skipping the loop bus I decided to walk around Arima (a bad choice as the rope-way station was farther from town than I thought.) Once I had seen most of what was to be seen I hopped on the train out of Arima (the same train I take to and from work on Thursdays) and came home to rest up for the work week.
The bottom cable car station.
The cable car.
View from the top cable car station. (Not what I'd call a "sunny day"... stupid weather report)
A sign in the cable car station.
The 9th exclamation point lets you know they're serious.
(Also "No, Drugs")
The lookout tower at Rokko Garden Terrace.
The observatory on Rokko Mountain.
Rokko Garden Terrace see from the lookout tower.
From the top of Mt. Rokko looking towards Osaka.
One of the springs in Arima.
The orange color comes from the iron heavy water.
(Not pictured the funny sulfur smell that permeates the town.)
Oh yeah, this is what Arima station will look like in the year 2000...
...or perhaps not...

And that, more or less, was my weekend. Looking into the future there's a whopping three weeks until my next three day weekend. Two weeks after that, however, I get a mini-vacation in the form of a "4 day weekend." And, while I'm forecasting... winter break is fast approaching... Well, anywho, that's it for now. Til' next time:

Jaa Mata Ne.

P.s. I fixed last weeks post, all instances of the place name "Ashia" were corrected to read "Akashi".

1 comment:

Nitima Sood said...

Interesting post. Enjoyed reading it

Check my blog at
http://offbeatspirituality.blogspot.com/

Would like to hear from you...!!