Sunday, May 3, 2009

An up-what? No. Yeah? Yeah. An Update. Really.

"One word" that's what every post starts with. There, the hard part's over. Right, on with chronological events!

Let's see, the last update I gave was back in that dark time when I lacked internet for those couple of weeks. Everything back then's kind of hazy. I think I may have even bought a newspaper somewhere in there... and read it... for the news (shocking, I know.) Actually I've been reading the Sunday edition of the Daily Yomururi since the contract started. I have a "free talk" class sunday mornings and it helps to have something to talk about OTHER than where I'm from and what Japanese foods I like.

My second contract is in full swing now. The first two weeks were just the standard lessons, no group or kids classes. Three weeks ago kids classes started for me (no group classes this year.) I've got 4 super classes and 2 that need some work (i.e. "Demon Teacher Mike, Enforcer of Rules" to come down like rain in a typhoon.) All my schools are really nice, and fairly close (shortest is a 5 minute walk, longest is 35 minutes away, as compared to last year's twice a week 50 minute train rides.) The staff and students are all really nice (and no one seems to have an un-explained hatred for me this year (yeah, one staff did last year, long story.)) I have a full schedule (5 days a week) now too, up from the 2 scheduled days I had at the beginning of last month. Things are looking good!

Mid last month the Dads came for a visit, which was great. It's always nice to see familiar faces from back home, many times more so when it's family, and live and in person too! An this time I wasn't stuck in bed with pneumonia. Sadly I did have to work most of the days they were here but there were a few days where we went adventuring together. I think they had a good time, but I'm sure they have their own stories (most probably involving me walking them ragged and trying to feed them eel.)

The day after the Dads went home I decided to go check out Banpaku-koen, the large park constructed on the site of Expo '70. It was really quite nice and had a lot of greenery (for Japan.) There are several large multi-use fields, flower gardens, and a big wooded area with streams and waterfalls. The other thing near Banpaku-koen is Expoland, a now closed theme-park famous for roller-coater malfunctions that killed several people (and people wonder why I don't like roller-coasters.)
The tower of the sun, one of Osaka's signature places.
Trees line the original entry way to Expo '70.
I... guess they saw something I didn't...

Starting last Tuesday I've had a whole week off for the "Golden Week" holiday season. G.W. is a series of national holidays that happen in quick succession which make for a kind of "spring break" for the entire country. Anything the least bit touristy normally is packed this entire week, as travel seems to be the thing to do.

As for me I've been taking it easy. I know I didn't do much on my last vacation, but that was a forced doing nothing, this time it's a self-decided arse sitting I'm doing. I did, however head out to Spark's old neighborhood in Shiga to see a ninja village on Friday. For not knowing what to expect, I guess it was pretty cool. Someone I was with described it as Japanese-redneck, and I wouldn't disagree.. it was in banjo country... or is that shamisen country? Anyways we had a good time and even completed a ninja training course which included wall climbing, ledge walking, tree scaling, and water walking. I barely made it up the wall, did okay on the ledge, fell off the tree, and shortly after putting on the ninja-floaty-shoes fell butt first into a large pool of skummy ninja-water... it was a wet train ride home to say the least.
Ninja Skill #1, Trick the enemy into thingking you're actually a ninja.
Ninja Skill #2, Throwing stars (harder than they look, that's 1 for 10 I hit at all.)
Ninja Skill #3, Make scaling a 2 meter wall look difficult.
Ninja Skill #4, Don't fall off 1 foot high ledges.
Ninja Skill #5, ...I don't know I failed at #5.
Ninja Skill #6, The set-up.
(Taking care because the guy behind me just fell in.)
Ninja Skill #6 The impact.
(See, I even rolled up my pant legs to keep them dry.)
Ninja Skill #6 The aftermath.
(Not pictured, how wet my drawers were for the next two hours.)

Keeping with my plans of not having plans, I've only got one more event on the docket for vacation. Tuesday I'll be going on a photo-scavenger-hunt through Nara and Kyoto. Should be interesting.

Alright, I think those were the big events from last month. I'm sure I'm leaving something(s) out but my brain hasn't been in work mode for the last 5 days. Here's to me learning from my procrastination and blogging as I go instead of letting stuff pile up and then forgetting things. Until next time:

Jaa Mata Ne.

2 comments:

Senbei said...

Glad to hear they're finally giving you a real schedule. I can't imagine living on only two days a week's pay. That's rough.

I would kill for a chance to see either Nara or Kyoto. Live it up! I'll have to treat myself to a kansai hatsumode after i finish grad school.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,

Glad to hear that you had the visit from the dads!

Sad news about my trip to Ritto - seems the superintendent of schools is not willing to let potentially swine flu carrying middle schoolers come in June. So, I'll not be able to see you in Kyoto.

Andy's dad.