Saturday, June 28, 2008

So, it's been almost two weeks since my last update. I'd like to say it's because I've been so busy gallivanting over the Japanese countryside. Well, okay, that's actually half true. I have been busy with work which has taken me all over the Kansai region. As a nice side effect, I'm becoming extremely familiar with the local train lines. It turns out that in Sannomiya (read: downtown Kobe) there are actually four different rail companies running five rail lines (that I've found so far.) that includes 3 over-land commuter trains and 2 subway lines. It seems (judging from the last few weeks) that I can be expected to utilize all 5 lines in any given week. Intimacy with the system is necessary because some lines have stations with the same name in other cities (i.e. JR-Amagasaki, Hankyu-Amagasaki, Hanshin-Amagasaki.) But, that doesn't mean these stations are ANYWHERE near one another. So, if you're headed to a store near Hankyu-Amagasaki and you take the JR train, you're in for one heck of a walk (or going all the way back to Sannomiya, where the lines all intersect.)

As far as my usual wander-lust adventuring, I was pretty beat after Hiroshima, so the most exciting thing I did that week was laundry. This week I actually got off my arse on Tuesday and took the Ropeway from Shin-Kobe up the mountain there to visit the Kobe Herb-Park which has a great view of all of Kobe (and even Osaka and Kansai airport (across the bay) on a really clear day.)

Big dam and reservoir seen from ropeway car.

Foreground: Kobe Herb-Park green house.
Kobe, Port Island, and Kobe airport in the background.
My room, now lived in for almost a month.

Not much of an update I'll admit. Maybe the weather will be nice this week and I'll get over to Himeji (where there's a great Japansese castle) and/or to Suma (the closest public beach.)

Oh, that does reminds me of one point. It's been announced that the rainy-season has arrived in Japan. I can't say I've ever lived in a place with a rainy SEASON before. Not too surprising the forecast on any given day calls for a 40-90% chance of rain (also strange that in the States you almost never get a 90% chance of rain, it usually tops off around 70%... I wonder why...) But I digress.

I hope this post finds you in good health and good spirits. Until next time:

Jaa Mata Ne.

P.s. Happy Birthday to Me!

P.p.s. In other news, the former president of my former company has been arrested on a variety of charges related to the crash and burn of the company. What's that feeling? Faith being restored in "the system"? Yes, I think it is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUDE! Send me an e-mail with your phone number? I went to call you on your natal day and realized I don't have the number. Love as always. MomCat

Jim Moll said...

Belated birthday wishes from Farmington Hills! Reading about your ex boss being brought up on charges made me think that he and Kwayme have that in common. Both involved in ... ahem ... having their way ... with people and now having to pay.

I've was in Ritto during the rainy season. Tis indeed rainy! And, hot! And, then, rainy again.

Cheers!