Saturday, August 2, 2008

An explosive update.

I just got back from watching the Kobe Fireworks Festival. I think a good time was had by all and the fireworks were at least on par with a show like the Detroit Fireworks Festival.

At work today I hard from several sources (students, staff, other teachers) that the show was tonight and was to be launched from barges positioned in front of Harbor Land. Rumor had it that the show started from 7:30pm, though no word on length. Since I mercifully had an early shift today I had time to come home, relax, and cool off from the day. On the way home the trains were packed with men and women wearing yukata (a traditional light cotton kimono) headed to the show. About 7:15 I decided to hike up to a park that I knew that had a nice view of the whole harbor. I chose not to go to the harbor-front because, seeing the flow of foot traffic on the way home, I knew it would be very very crowded. Luckily I had been to this park before because by shortly after seven the path leading up the mountain had already become quite dark. Reaching the summit, or rather the plateau where the park is, I found, perhaps, 20 to 30 people already gathered.

My rumored information being correct, the show started promptly at 7:30. It lasted about 45 minutes and featured a variety of fireworks. If you've ever been to a professionally done fireworks show, yeah, it looked like that. After the show climaxed a final time (after several "false finishes") everyone descended the mountain (now in the pitch black.)

Again, it was fun and I'm glad I both had the time to go and went. I think next year though I may pick a better venue as 1/3 to 1/2 the show was partly obscured by two tall buildings. Also no pictures this year because 1.) my camera doesn't handle low light well and 2.) I had no place to set up my tripod to even attempt to take pictures. Again, maybe next year.

Jaa Mata Ne.

No comments: