Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another slow news week here in Kobe.

Last Thursday saw my triumphant return to the working world after a two week vacation. I was welcomed back by two events that day. First, I was told before the break that one of my kids-class students (my star student in fact) was transferring to another school. However, to my (and the staff's) happy surprise he came in Thursday ready to take a lesson. His mother said he really wanted to see "Dockett-sensei" again. Warmed the corners of my frozen little heart, that did. Secondly, in the afternoon, my class of slightly older kids, noting that I had grown my mustache out over vacation, proceeded to call me "old man" in Japanese throughout the lesson. As much as I wanted to defend myself, I think it's better if the kids don't know I understand Japanese (theoretically this means they'll use less of it in the classroom.. theoretically...)

Friday I was sent down to Hiroshima again. This time just for a single day. I don't want to second-guess my company's decisions... but I can't see how spending 20,000yen reimbursing travel expenses on top of my usual pay is worth sending me 300km to teach 3 lessons... but, hey the Shinkansen is always fun!

Monday I got a chance to teach at the new flagship school in Osaka. It's on an upper floor of one of the taller buildings downtown. It's got a great view. I'll have to take my camera next time I teach there...

Yesterday's fun was doing laundry. Today, however, saw actual enjoyment: Due to a happy fluke in my budgeting, I decided that I could afford a bicycle! I had previously scoped out several shops around town and decided to go with the 'B Flat' bike shop in Motomachi. The shop attendant was very helpful in selecting a bike that fit my specifications: inexpensive, folding, and suitable for a 2 meter tall foreigner.
Yay! Wheels!
Re: why it's called a folding bike.

I spent most of the afternoon riding around on my sweet new mode of transportation.

That does it for this week. Maybe next week I'll actually do something blog-worthy... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jaa Mata Ne.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Boogaloo. Aunt Harriet and Uncle John are with me for a couple of days and say "hi." They now have an email address!
b.mama@live.com

Loved the new blog. Talk to you soon. MomCat